Basketball Coaches Day in Canada
Senior Team Coaches Lisa Thomaidis and Jay Triano
It’s time for us to get up and join together in recognizing our Canadian basketball coaches for all that
Building on ParticipACTION’s third annual Sports Day in Canada, Canada Basketball is declaring
November 30th, 2013 as Basketball Coaches Day in Canada.
What is it?
Basketball Coaches Day in Canada is a national celebration of all Canadian basketball coaches for all the
time, dedication and passion that they contribute to our sport through the year. From November 24th –
30th Canada Basketball and its stakeholders will launch a national campaign to encourage communities
to participate in recognizing these coaches.
U19 Coaches Roy Rana and Rich Chambers
The objectives are:
- To raise the appreciation level for the commitment that basketball coaches put into athletes,
teams, programs and community sport
- To thank those that have had such a great impact on our youth and their sporting development
from the grassroots to the high performance
- To create awareness of the passion and desire our Canadian coaches have for improvement
How to get involved?
Canada Basketball is encouraging sporting clubs, schools, community associations to explore different
ways to show and express their appreciation to their basketball coaches.
Here are some potential ways to recognize coaches on Basketball Coaches Day in Canada:
- Run a coaching clinic
- Send out an email blast thanking your coaches
- Recognize your coaches’ contributions in newsletters or on websites
- Appreciation or recognition awards for your coaches
- Use your fall league day registrations to incorporate coach appreciation events
U16 coaches Carly Clarke and David DeAveiro
To be a part of the Basketball Coaches Day in Canada:
1. CREATE an event.
2. REGISTER your event on www.cbcsports.ca/sportsday. (Be sure to include “basketball coaches”
in your event title)
3. PROMOTE your event
4. UPLOAD your photos/videos at #SportsDay, facebook.com/CBCSports, #CanBall, facebook.com/
Let’s all find a way to recognize our basketball coaches!!
Canada Basketball is issuing a challenge to our basketball community to help make basketball THE
MOST registered sport and run the most events on Sports Day in Canada!
Canada Basketball has also created a thank you card that athletes can either print off, or distribute electronically to their coaches to show their appreciation. For English version, click here, for French version click here.