Steve Nash Youth Basketball [SNYB] is a national youth basketball program designed to develop fundamental skills, sportsmanship and a love of the game of basketball. This Canada Basketball grassroots initiative empowers community basketball groups, facilities, and clubs across Canada in an effort to positively influence youth through the sport of basketball.
SNYB offers hosts a turnkey program, including a full curriculum, participant materials, and coach training. SNYB is flexible enough to allow organizers to adapt the program to their needs and resources while remaining aligned with the Sport Canada Long-Term Athlete Development [LTAD] Model.
Provide opportunities for youth ages 8-12 across Canada to be play basketball
Train coaches in the NCCP FUNdamentals Workshop, and provide a full basketball curriculum with supporting resources
Develop young athletes in alignment with the Sport Canada LTAD Model and stage-appropriate drills and games
Serve as entry to the Canada Basketball developmental pathway, encouraging athletes to pursue high performance opportunities
Help participants to maximize their potential, using basketball as a vehicle to develop character and life skills
- Enrollment in a program endorsed by Steve Nash, Canada Basketball, all provincial/territorial organizations, and Sport Canada
- Proven curriculum aligned with the LTAD Model
- Certified coaching from NCCP trained Community Coaches
- SNYB jersey, basketball, drawstring bag, water bottle, certificate, and poster
- SNYB Parents Guide
- Provincial and national basketball membership
- Coach development through NCCP Community Coach workshops through provincial organizations [PTSOs], Canada Basketball, and the Coaching Association of Canada [CAC]
- SNYB GamePlan online portal registration
- SNYB Curriculum including coach manual, lesson plans, drill bank, and additional resources
- SNYB coach polo and Fox 40 whistle
- Provincial and national membership
- A comprehensive, adaptable, and proven program aligned with the LTAD Model
- Program endorsement by Steve Nash, Canada Basketball, all provincial organizations [PTSOs], and Sport Canada
- SNYB Operations Manual and support from SNYB and PTSO staff
- Trained coaches through NCCP Community Coach workshops through provincial organizations [PTSOs], Canada Basketball, and the Coaching Association of Canada [CAC]
- National branding and promotions executed by Canada Basketball
- Use of the SNYB name, marks, logos, images, and other marketing materials
- High quality program materials provided for all participants at low cost
The Canada Basketball athlete development model is based on the Canadian Sport for Life Long-term Athlete Development [CS4L-LTAD] Model and resource paper. Developed by Canadian world leaders in youth sport development, LTAD is athlete centered, coach driven, and administratively supported. The LTAD Model integrates elite, community, and school sport, athletes with a disability, physical education, and the health of the nation.
LTAD and SNYB develops physical literacy in all children. Physical literacy is the motivation, confidence, competence, and understanding to value and enjoy physical activity in life. The LTAD Model provides the best basis to develop future athletes by ensuring youth receive appropriate development and training. SNYB focuses on the FUNdamentals and Learn-to-Train stages of LTAD.
Click here for more information on the LTAD Model.
Steve Nash Youth Basketball is awesome - the best thing that could ever happen to this community. My daughter is in the program. She's really shy, but now she's really open and out there having a good time. My son is going to be doing it next year, and we're really looking forward to it.
Roger James, Parent [Lytton, BC]
Coaching the Steve Nash Youth Basketball has been such an honour! The kids absolutely loved the program - they really enjoyed all the games and drills! They said it was challenging, but enjoyable and competitive. Their fundamental skills have greatly improved over the course of the 12 weeks. The kids have also learned that the game of basketball is not all about themselves, and that they can only win as a team which encouraged the kids to pass more frequently and be more competitive against each other!
Krystal Drain, Coach [Portage La Prairie, MB]
I love Steve Nash Youth Basketball! I made many friends and learned lots. I liked coming every week to practice to get better at basketball and have fun!
Johnny C., Player [Toronto, ON]
Get in touch with the SNYB Team!
SNYB on Social Media